Monday, November 28, 2011

Psalm 6 - Crying out Under Discipline

Category: Penitential
Author: King David
Performing Forces: Choir and Strings

As I have begun reading through the Psalms, I can't get over how real David is.  This man was conflicted with sin just as much as I am even though he was the king of Israel and called "a man after God's own heart."

It appears at the beginning of this Psalm that David realizes that the anguish he is experiencing is punishment for his sin.  He begs God, "LORD, do not rebuke me in Your anger; do not discipline me in Your wrath."  This could be during the time he was fleeing from his own son, Absalom, who was trying to take over the kingdom (see the inscription at the beginning of Psalm 3 and 7.)  Whatever the case, much of the distress David experienced during his reign was a consequence of his sin with Bathsheba.  He is painfully aware of his sin and its consequences.

He describes the terror he is going through.  His bones are shaking, he is weary, his eyes swollen with grief.  He even fears for his life (vs. 5).  Evildoers and enemies are pressing in; he is weeping continuously.

What I find amazing in this Psalm is verse 9:

"The LORD has heard my plea for help;
the LORD accepts my prayer."

David runs into the arms of the very God who is punishing him.  To whom else would he run?  When a young child is under the discipline of a parent, what more does he desire than to be in favor once again with his parent?

This is encouraging to me.  I find it easy to cry out to God in circumstances beyond my control.  But I have found it difficult to cry out to God when I experience the results of my sin, because I know all too well that it was my own choice that got me there.

Here, I am reminded that God's discipline is meant to drive me back to Him.

The writer of Hebrews (quoting Proverbs 3:11) sees the discipline of God as assurance: "And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons: 'My son, do not take the Lord's discipline lightly...the Lord disciplines the one He loves...' Endure it as discipline: God is dealing with you as sons. For what son is there whom a father does not discipline? (Heb 12:5-7 HCSB)

Father, thank you that you never discipline me in Your wrath, but as my Father.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful application, Steve. I read through Psalms a while back and paraphrased - helped me to grasp so much more from both perspectives - God´s and man´s. We do not need to understand, really. We just need to keep turning our face to His, our heart in His direction, which is hard to do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve. Great! Recently I've pondered the difference between David and Solomon. They can be compared and used as a template for the different ministries of Christ (the present ministry of grace and mercy, the future ministry as conquering king and judge). Your post (although you don't mention Solomon) makes me reflect on the fact that we do not find in Solomon the same personal sense of personal sinfulness that we find in David, and it shows in the character of the last years of their reigns.

    Hurry and get to Psalm 51. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on verse four. Just recently that puzzling statement has begun to make sense to me.

    Thanks for hanging around blogland and posting refreshing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete