Monday, November 7, 2011

Psalm 4

Category: Petition
Author: David
Performing Forces: choir and strings
Theme: At the end of the day it is God who vindicates.
Name of God: Elohei Tsidki: "God-my-Righteousness"

Click here for the text of Psalm 4

1. David calls out to God (4:1)
     "God-my-Righteousness" or "God who vindicates me"
          David looks back to past deliverance and pleads for grace and attention from God on that basis. (vs. 3b)

2. David addresses his enemies (4:2-5)
     This is primarily a gracious appeal to his enemies to repent!  I find these verses incredibly unexpected; that David would include an appeal to his enemies, not only to fear the Righteous God, but to leave what is worthless and trust in God!
     He asks them, "How long will you love what is worthless?"
     In light of Elohei-Tsidki who will hear when David calls for help (vs. 3), the wicked are called upon to "tremble" and not sin (vs. 4).
     Trust in God! Don't love worthless things.

3. David rests in God (4:6-8)
     At the end of the day, David puts his confidence in God.
    
     He expresses the tension - many are challenging God's favor
   
    "You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and new wine abound"
          Contrast this lasting joy with the "worthless" pursuits of wicked men.
   
    Finally, David expresses implicit rest in God.

King David begins and ends this Psalm with a God-ward focus.  In the middle portion I find an appeal to his enemies to do the same.

There are many worthless pursuits surrounding me and calling out to me; and then there is the lasting joy found in the unmerited favor of God.  God help me to pursue You!

No comments:

Post a Comment