Monday, October 31, 2011

Psalm 3

Category: Petition
Author: David
Situation: He was fleeing from his own son, Absalom (see 2 Samuel 15-17; Psalm 63)
Theme: Relentless trust in God during an impossible situation.
 

The statement/challenge: "There is no help for him in God."
     - an insult to the anointed king of Israel
     - an insult to God who anointed David king
     - parallel to Jesus -- Matt 27:43ff

You, Yahweh, are to me:
     - my shield/protection
     - my worth/weight/glory/value
     - my Savior

David sleeps through the night, unafraid of terrible odds.

Petition:
    "Rise up!" "Save!"
    Salvation belongs to the LORD
    Blessing on his people

David could have easily found his identity as a father and as the king of Israel very much threatened by this situation in which his own son was leading a rebellion against him and taking his kingdom from him.  Instead, he looked to God and found his identity in Him.  He confesses, "But You, LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, and the One who lifts up my head."  He could sleep in peace unafraid and content knowing that Yahweh was his God and Yahweh was ultimately King of Israel.

I pray that God would be my value today; that nothing would take the position of worth in my life that only belongs to Him.

1 comment:

  1. Steve, I am enjoying these. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete